Thursday, July 30, 2009

A Tendency to Disagree

I've been having conversations with various friends where I wasn't allowed to state my whole opinion due to bias opinions and an unwillingness to listen. I'm not saying that I am bias free, but I feel as though I let other people say what they believe. I've had many instances where I've been discriminated against for my beliefs and I swore I would never do the same. I might disagree, but I believe in the freedom of speech.

Anyway, I was talking to Anthony (one of the Mr. Wrongs) and he has an extremely low opinion of the human race. He said that only 30% of the working age (16-65) population in the United States could take care of themselves. That's rich considering he's 24 and living with his parents. Yet, he classifies himself in the 30%. I asked him what gave him the right to make that sort of claim. His reply was he met lots of people while traveling. I beg to differ. He met lots of people at bars and clubs which does not give a decent representation. I even asked where he's been. The only places he could list where Utah, New York, Connecticut, and the surrounding areas.

It annoyed me tremendously. He thought himself to be better and he said so! I might be proud of the knowledge that I've gained, but I'm not going to say I'm smarter than 70% of the population. Everybody has different experiences that they learn from. They all have something to contribute and are just as capable of taking care of themselves. Various people might be stronger in certain areas, but I feel that has to do with circumstance and the willingness to work. (I can't stand people who give up or don't pursue what they want. Not having motivation is incomprehensible to me.) What he was proposing sounded like we were suppose to get rid of the 70%.

Another award-winning theory given by Anthony is that if somebody treats him poorly he wont be friends with them anymore. Give me a break. I'm a HUGE believer in I'll give you as many chances as you need or are willing to take. To me a sincere apology is all that is necessary. It takes way too much energy to hold a grudge. That, and I can't do it. I've tried. He's the most bitter person I have ever met. Why let yourself be hindered by self pity?

No comments:

Post a Comment